Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Life is like a box of chocolates.... or maybe a pile of s%$t

Okay so I am totally new to this whole blogging thing. I became inspired to "journal" as my mother would say when I lost my job but I decided to step into 2009 and blog instead after reading my friend Julies blog http://joblessjulie.wordpress.com/. So here goes...

Forrest Gump once sat on a park bench and said "Life is like a box of chocolates.. you never know what you're gonna get". I would like to take that one step further and say that "Life is like a box of chocolates or maybe a pile of s&*^". Let me explain... Recently I had my life or box of chocolates yanked away from me when I was let go from my job as a pharmaceutical sales rep. I know, I know poor pitiful me. No need for the pity party folks I took a job in an unsteady industry that lays off its people left and right so needless to say it was going to happen to me at some point within my career. Did I expect it to happen with no notice and no severance? Hellicopter no!! This is where the "pile if s*&t" part comes in. I had my career, car, computer, paycheck and independence taken from me in 36 hours which as a result left me with no job, no car, no money and a large hangover. But things are looking on the up and up.

Thanks to my parents I am in love with the older volvo that is parked in my driveway at a 5% interest and yes I stood in the unemployment line with everyone else in the Charleston area (that was an expierence in itself) and thanks to my sister I am typing and sending my resumes on a borrowed Dell. (oddly enough that is one application that the iPhone has not created yet). Back to the dreaded unemployment line or should I say DMV. I myself being the young professional that I am questioned what to wear to the unemployment line. Do I go business professional, business casual or jeans? I opted for jeans and my cardigan sweater from Ann Taylor, flats and my coach bag. Needless to say I drew some stares. I could have gone in cutoffs and the infamous redneck tanktop like the rest of Kanawha county and no one would have even looked at me but Oh No not me I will not look like I am unemployed. Note to self.....you are unemployed! After filling out paperwork and realizing that I am not that good at "clerical" work I had to sit in a unemployment orientation and watch a VHS from 1996 on the unemployment handbook. Yippee!!! Then I was forced to give my statement to a deputy about why I was "discharged" from my current position so that they can send it off to my employer. Correct me if I am wrong but I got let go I didnt get arrested for having a meth lab. The deputy told me that it could take up to 21 days for my employer to deny or accept the claim and that I would have to wait on them to make their decision before I would recieve my benefits. Friday the 14th will be 21 days so keep your fingers crossed!

In the past three days I have applied for over 30 jobs, typed and hopefully mastered the perfect resume for a variety of positions and as a result the "older" and very much appreciated Dell has crashed on me a total of 5 times. I have walked my dog every few hours so I wont get bed sores and taken a bath at 1am to help me relax. I am now addicted to Chelsea Lately at 11pm and 12am and have gotten caught up on General Hospital. That Sonny he ceases to amaze me. All in days work... and yes it is true that trying to find a job is like having a job especially when you have no clue what you want to be when you grow up! I am 28 right... shouldn't I know this by now. And the "pile of s&*t" grows........

3 comments:

  1. be careful with that old Dell shes all you got! very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! This is so great!
    I also love that you took your Coach bag to the unemployment line... hey, if you can't beat, that doesn't mean you have to join 'em!

    ReplyDelete